A computer tomography scan, also known as a CT scan, is widely used as a diagnostic tool for detecting diseases and injuries. It basically uses a combination of X-rays and computers to produce a detailed 3D image of various soft tissues and bones. The scan is completely painless and helps in the diagnosis of several conditions and diseases. It can successfully diagnose issues such as bone tumors, fractures, joint problems, infection, cancer, and more.
It basically uses a narrow X-ray beam to target a specific part of your body and provides images from various different angles. You are recommended to consult the top best center for the diagnosis, and since there are numerous centers available, it becomes difficult for patients to choose the best one. However, before the procedure is conducted, you need to know how to prep for a CT scan in New Jersey.
How does CT scan with contrast help?
CT is basically used to see dense substances such as bones, but soft tissues do not show up well in the procedure. They usually look quite blurry in the images. To facilitate a clear image, a special dye called contrast material is used. They mainly block the x-rays and appear white on the screen. This helps blood vessels, organs, and other structures appear visibly.
Preparation for the CT scan (oral contrast)
A doctor lets the patients know about how to prep for a CT scan in New Jersey. The patients need to follow the guidelines so that the procedure is conducted successfully and the image is clear enough to detect the issues. The preparation is as follows:
- You need to drink one-half bottle the night before the examination.
- Remember to shake the contrast well before consumption.
- It is recommended that you arrive early at the center and drink one full bottle, 2 hours before the scheduled exam time.
- Bring half a bottle so that you can take it at the time of the examination.
- You should remember to fast for 2 hours before the appointment time.
- Drink oral prep without mixing it with any other liquids.
If you want to know about how to prep for a CT scan, then consider the above details as they will assist you.